In our article today, we shall focus our attention on the online accelerated bachelor’s in social work program. You don’t have to major in social work to do social work. You can do it as a volunteer or paid staff at your local church or humane society. You can mentor and tutor young people struggling with financial difficulties, or who have special needs that make school difficult for them. You can be an advocate for people who need help getting services they’re entitled to.
But if you want to work as a social worker in a personal capacity, and not just on an occasional or volunteer basis, then you’re going to need more than that. The state of Minnesota requires social workers who do “direct service” to have a bachelor’s degree in social work or related field, or a master’s degree in social work or related field (the requirements are similar in other states).
What does this mean? It means that the online accelerated bachelor’s degree in Social Work from the University of Minnesota—specifically designed for working adults with some college credit—can help you get where you need to go.
However, if you are interested in a career in social work and want to go into social work professionally, then you’ll need a professional degree — specifically, a bachelor’s degree in social work (a BSW).
However, if you are interested in a career in social work and want to go into social work professionally, then you’ll need a professional degree — specifically, a bachelor’s degree in social work (a BSW). A BSW is the minimum requirement for most professional social work jobs. It is also the first step towards earning your master’s degree in social work (an MSW) — although some employers may require an MSW for employment.
There are two main ways to get your BSW:
- Four-year university or college: The most common way to get your bachelor’s degree is by enrolling at a four-year university or college that offers a BSW program. This means that you’ll take classes on campus full-time and complete the program within 4 years. After graduating with your BSW, you can pursue entry-level positions or begin working toward your master’s degree.
- Two-year community college: Some community colleges may offer an associate’s degree program that prepares students to transfer into Bachelor of Social Work programs. These programs typically take 2 years of full time study and prepare students to apply for admission into a four-year BSW program as juniors with 60 credits already completed from their associate’s studies. This saves students time on their undergraduate education and allows them to graduate sooner than if they had not taken any community college courses before transferring into their bachelor’s programs.
Long story short: if you want to do social work, go for it — online accelerated bachelor’s degree programs are a great way to earn your BSW quickly and earn credits for previous experience you may already have.
In a nutshell: if you’re interested in going into social work, you can’t go wrong with an online accelerated bachelor’s degree program. These programs are geared towards professionals who’ve worked in the field of social work before and want to earn their BSW quickly. They offer more flexibility than traditional programs, allowing you to fit classes into your schedule. Plus, you may be able to earn credits for previous experience that you already have!
Use the online program search application link above to find the online accelerated BSW program that best fits your needs!
Use the online program search application link above to find the online accelerated bachelor’s degree in social work that best fits your needs!
Your BSW is a key component of your MSW and will help you reach your personal and professional goals. Earning your bsw in as little as 12 months through an online accelerated program is a great option for those who have already earned a Bachelor’s Degree, or are looking to start their careers as soon as possible.
Top Schools Offering Online Bachelor’s Degree In Social Work
The following schools offer the best online bachelor’s degree in social work:
If you’re looking for a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, you’ll want to consider the University of Southern California. The school offers a bachelor of science in gerontology and social work, which puts an emphasis on learning about older age groups. You will take courses in topics such as professional identity, social policy, and human behavior.
The school is located in Los Angeles and has an undergraduate enrollment of 18,834.
University of North Carolina Wilmington
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Addiction Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Online Bachelor of Social Work
- Online Bachelor of Science in Addiction Studies
- Online Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Online Bachelor of Science in Psychology
Kent State University offers an online bachelor of social work degree that’s accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The university has several brick-and-mortar campuses in Ohio, but it offers more than 200 programs entirely online. The program consists of a total of 120 credits and takes about 4 years to complete at full-time enrollment.
If you’re looking for part-time study or accelerated course loads, Kent State University also offers these options. You’ll have access to an academic advisor as you pursue your degree and can take advantage of career services and tutoring resources through the university’s online student portal. For more information, visit Kent State University: Online Bachelor’s in Social Work
Arizona State University
Arizona State University offers an online Bachelor of Science in Social Work (BSSW) through its School of Social Work. Tuition is paid on a modular basis, meaning that students pay for each class individually as they complete them. This university was ranked #2 in the nation for online bachelor’s programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2018, and it is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
Florida International University
FIU offers both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in social work. Its BSW program is fully online, with students able to complete their studies in as little as two years. The university also offers an advanced standing BSW program for students who have earned an associate degree in the field.
Admission requirements for FIU’s BSW program include:
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 on a 4-point scale
- Completion of at least 60 credits (30 transferable) at the time of application
- Submission of Immunization Compliance Form, which includes proof of immunizations against certain diseases such as measles and mumps
Students should be aware that they may need to pass a background check or drug screening depending on where they are enrolled in field study courses.