Home Study Abroad How To Live and Work In Canada

How To Live and Work In Canada

Work in Canada - Canada.ca

If you want to live and work in Canada, there are many resources to help you figure out how to do it properly and legally.

Understand your options

There are several options for living and working in Canada. You can come as a student, worker, visitor or refugee.

You may also be eligible to immigrate to Canada permanently. If you’re thinking about permanent residence, you’ll need to understand the process for each option and decide which one is best for you.

Find opportunities

Finding work in Canada is a process, but it can be broken down into three simple steps:

  • Look for jobs in the right location.
  • Check job boards and company websites for opportunities that match your skillset and career goals.
  • Ask around—and network with people you know—to see if they have any connections that might help you land something great!

Find a job and apply.

Once you have decided where to live and what type of job you are looking for, it’s time to find a job.

  • Find out if the job is available in Canada. If it isn’t, look for opportunities outside of Canada instead.
  • Apply online or in person. If applying online isn’t an option, contact the company directly and ask if they hire people from outside of Canada or not.

If you have a resume:

  • Make sure that your resume has been updated by checking its content against recent work history and accomplishments that aren’t included on your current resume (if possible). This will help ensure that there are no gaps in employment during the application process which could prevent an employer from offering a position to someone else who might be more qualified than yourself but does not have any such gaps on their application documents (or vice versa).

Get a work permit.

A work permit is a document that allows you to legally work in Canada. You need a work permit if you want to be paid for the time you spend working in Canada. There are two types of work permits: open and closed (also known as “conditional”).

READ This:  Junior Software Developer Salary: How Much Is It?

Open Work Permit

If you want to come to Canada for an open work permit, then it will be issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). To qualify for this type of permit, your job must meet certain criteria:

  • Your employer needs proof from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) that they cannot find any Canadian citizens or permanent residents willing to do the job instead of hiring someone from outside Canada. This can happen when there are not enough qualified people available in Canada who can fill the position being advertised with the employer. HRSDC must verify that there aren’t enough Canadian workers who can do the job; otherwise they won’t issue an approval letter confirming this fact which would allow employers who have submitted an application on behalf of worker applicants seeking employment authorization under this category – ie., non-Canadian/foreign nationals/visitors seeking authorization as temporary foreign workers under one of these programs listed above – entrance into country by providing them with visas at ports-of entry prior arrival here].

Extend your work permit.

If you have worked in Canada for at least one year and are still employed under your work permit, then you may be eligible to extend it. You will need to prove that you are still working in the same position with your employer and provide proof of continued employment. If you are studying in Canada on a postsecondary program, an extension can be applied for when your studies end.

When applying for an extension, there are two main steps involved:

  • Applying – Before or after the expiry date of your current work permit, apply online with Service Canada by clicking here (or here if you’re outside of Canada). You’ll need proof that:
  • You’ve worked at least 30 days during each consecutive 12-month period since being granted a previous work permit; AND
  • Your current job meets certain conditions set out by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). If CIC determines that these conditions have been met then they’ll send back a letter approving the extension application along with a new document called Employment Authorization Document which replaces the old one once issued earlier; AND
  • Receiving – Once approved by CIC then receive all documents from them which include:
  • Your new EAD card; AND
  • A receipt showing payment made towards fees associated with extending an existing work permit
READ This:  Does Internship Get Paid?

Determine where you want to live permanently and if you can do that.

It is important to determine where you want to live permanently and if you can do that. You will also need a valid passport, visa and work permit.

You must first obtain a Canadian temporary or permanent resident visa before travelling to Canada. A Visa Officer will decide if he or she believes that your reasons for wanting to visit Canada are genuine – if not, the application may be refused.

Come to Canada to live

The first step in the process is to come to Canada. If you don’t already have a job lined up, there are many ways to find work here; if you do have a position waiting for you in Canada, it’s important that your employer complete the paperwork on their end.

Once you’re approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), which can take anywhere from two weeks to several months, they will issue a work permit allowing you access into the country as an employee of the company who hired them. It’s not enough just show up at customs with your passport and expect to get through—you need approval before being allowed entry into Canada!

If you want to live and work in Canada, there are many resources to help you figure out how to do it properly and legally.

If you want to live and work in Canada, there are many resources to help you figure out how to do it properly and legally.

If you have a job offer from an employer in Canada and have been offered a permanent position that meets the requirements of the Canadian government, then your employer can submit an application for a work permit on your behalf. If this is what you would like to do, be sure that they include all of your credentials so that they will be approved as quickly as possible.

READ This:  Top Schools Offering Online Industrial Design Degree

If you are applying from outside Canada or if this option does not apply to your situation (for instance because someone else has already submitted your work permit application), then there are other options available such as applying directly through Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC). You can find more information about these different options here: https://www.cicnewsletter-en-CA/2015/11/open-work-permit/.


If you want to live and work in Canada, there are many resources to help you figure out how to do it properly and legally. You will want to make sure that you understand your options and then apply for the appropriate visa or permit that fits your situation. If possible, come in person so that you can get a better idea of what life is like here before making any big decisions such as selling or giving away all of your belongings!

Leave a Reply